The power of storytelling in the world of PR
We are all aware of the ‘must-have’ skills for an individual to succeed in the world of PR that ranges from passion for writing to public speaking. However, there is another component that is just as imperative as all the others – the art of storytelling!
Substantially, stories can make the content interesting since it can bring the brand’s messages to life. Merely stating the facts can get boring. In order to appeal to the media and our target audience, we need to create powerful and compelling stories.
Here Are Some Quick Tips On Producing Successful Stories…
- Build curiosity – This is the most important aspect of storytelling. This could even apply to the headline of your pitch note that draws interest and keeps your audience engaged. However be smart enough to know where to draw the line. It’s good to keep your audience guessing just a little bit at the beginning, but be sure you don’t leave them hanging in the end.
- Connect – Ensure that the content relates to the audience, provides a solution to a real issue or provides insight into a topic. Step into the shoes of the media and then you will know if they would find this pitch interesting?
- Identify the hero - It could be your product, the USP of the services or the brand itself. Identify the star of your story and make sure the pitch revolves around it.
- Start your story with the interesting angle – Even if that means starting it from the middle. Make sure you highlight the interesting facts first before explaining the rest.
This will keep your audience engaged until the end.
- Be realistic – Yes you need to make your story creative and interesting, but do not try to oversell it. Be realistic and understand that not every story is a best-selling one. Describe it the best way you can and leave it at that. You never know how small stories might help you create a bigger pitch in the future.